A few years ago, I decided to make a batch of fudge. But I didn't want the usual brown sugary mass of chocolate with waxy chunks of walnut suspended inside; I wanted something creamy and smooth and...well, not like fudge.
So I made a few substitutions. Instead of the semi-sweet morsels that my fudge recipe recommended, I grabbed white chocolate instead. And in place of the chopped walnuts, I used crushed Oreo cookies.
The result was so good, we wrote songs about it. If you love fudge, but are bored with the traditional recipe, give this one a shot.
-----
Cookies -n- Cream Fudge
1 can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
1-1/2 pkg. white chocolate chips
1 t. vanilla extract
1 cup crushed Oreo cookies
1/2 cup slivered almonds (optional)
wax paper
In a large heavy saucepan, melt the chocolate and sweetened condensed milk together until smooth. Stir in the crushed cookies, vanilla, and slivered almonds, and mix well. Spread evenly into a 9x9 cake pan that has been lined with waxed paper, and allow to cool completely. Cut into 1-inch cubes, and store in airtight containers.
Makes about 1 pound of fudge.
-----
VARIATIONS:
This is a generic fudge recipe, that can make just about any flavor or combination you want. Try these variations:
CHOCOLATE FUDGE (The "parent" recipe from which all of these are derived): Use semi-sweet chocolate morsels instead of white chocolate, and use walnuts instead of cookies and almonds.
BUTTERSCOTCH FUDGE: Use butterscotch morsels and slivered almonds instead of cookies, and line the cake pan with graham crackers before pouring the fudge.
CAPPUCCINO FUDGE: Dissolve 1 T. instant coffee in 1 T. water and add to the recipe. Omit the cookies, and use crushed biscotti instead.
PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE: Use peanut butter morsels instead of white chocolate, but keep the Oreo cookies. Use peanuts instead of almonds.
ROCKY ROAD FUDGE: Use chocolate morsels, add marshmallows and walnuts and crushed Butterfinger candy.
No comments:
Post a Comment